My observations from today’s combine workouts. I claim to be no expert, just observations and some analysis from a fanatical fan. I add what I can offer to the mix. If you missed the workouts and don’t trust the media to be honest or accurate, here are the guys I observed that stood out.
1. Jake Long, OT is pretty solid, but I don’t think he is a Joe Thomas. Probably a little better than Levi Brown. He is strong, decent 10 yard split and good footwork. I have to agree with Mayock. Pro Bowl RT, decent LT.
2. Dustin Keller, TE really impressed. He had the second most bench reps, the fastest 40 time, highest vertical and was catching a lot of passes. He might be a solid pass catching TE for someone in round 3 or 4. Carlson the top rated TE looks like a poor man’s Zach Miller.
3. Jeff Otah, OT has nice speed but didn’t run as fast as expected. He isn’t very fluid and bends at the waist and in drills he was very high. I’d say a small stock drop for him.
4. Jeremy Zuttah, OG looked fluid, ran with good burst, and had pretty nice footwork in drills. The footwork part was most impressive since it was supposed to be his biggest weakness. He lacks ideal size, but might make a good zone blocking lineman. He also benched very well, second only to Jake Long. I’d bump his stock quite a bit for zone blocking teams. I’d like us to grab him late. I liked him a lot.
5. Chris Williams, OT is athletic and has the size. Good burst off the line, but he put up just 21 reps on the bench. NFL strength coaches will help him, but in my mind he is a project more than a guy who can step right in.
6. Chilo Rachal, OG looked fluid, with good burst and athleticism. The footwork in drills was okay. He didn’t bench among the leaders and needs to get stronger. I don’t think he is as good as he is rated, but I do like his athletic build and good size.
7. Kolomona Kapanui, TE. I’ve seen play live. He lacks deep speed, but the man plays faster than he ran. He also has good hands and is tough. He benched well and looked good in drills. Project from a small school, but transfered there from USC where he had academic problems on a scholarship. Has the talent. If he learns to block better can be a solid TE for someone. Probably will go undrafted or go in the last round.